Sunday, October 11, 2009

Andy Goes to Camp


  • 9.19.09 - Saturday was a hot muggy day even at 7am. A couple campers came early and got their run in
    and the rest of us did something a little different this week that did not really work as planned. Instead of
    running up top on the bike free bike path, I decided to take us down a trail to the bike path for and out and
    back run.
  • It was a bad idea because the bike path is very narrow at the bluffs and there were a lot of bikes who get way
    too annoyed that we dare run/walk on "THEIR BIKE PATH". Plus out back long runs curtail the group aspect
    of the Saturday run. The highlight of the morning was that we did catch Joe flashing by on his bike on the way
    to a team win in the Bakersfield Triathlon.
  • 9.18.09 - Saturday we are meeting at the Bluffs at 7am for some LSD (long steady distance) with a hill
    chaser. When we are done, we can drive up Panorama a bit and watch our fearless leader Joe Peterson
    destroy the bike field at the Bakersfield Triathlon. The bike course goes up the Bluffs turns left on Panorama
    (Haley intersection) and then heads back to Hart Park. If we miss him the first time (around 9am), he will be
    back by a second time in no time at all.
  • Speaking of Joe, today was testing day at the boot camp and it was hit and miss for me. I did the plank for a
    minute and smoked a 8:42 mile (not bad considering I just put in an 80 mile week of walking). The sit ups and
    push up results are classified. I was still sore from Wednesday and it was ugly.
  • 9.17.09 - Thursday was tempo run day and most everyone handled the thirty minute run well. They went out
    at a steady pace for 15 minutes and then came back at a quicker one for the most part. This Saturday we will
    be meeting at the Panorama Bluffs at 7am and bring a watch and a water bottle.
  • I still have not found Move your Tail results but do have photos of the results board for our running campers in
    the 10k HERE. Kim Nance lead our group with a 1:09:52 (11:17 pace) followed by Diana Daves (1:19:02 /
    12:44 pace) and Kimberly Kelly (1:40:14 / 16:07) who walked the 10k with her daughter Kayla. These are all
    good times especially since the course was hilly and at altitude.
  • 9.16.09 - I survived my first week of Building Better Bodies Boot Camp. Many of my running campers do
    both so I figured I should do it so I can relate better to how they feel on running days. Wednesday was day one
    and i went over with the beginners so Joe could "Introduce Us" to the program.
  • I quickly found out that my concept of introduction was vastly shorter then his. But I survived and figured out
    how to do most of the drills. Now doing them is another story. I can walk 60 to 80 miles a week but just getting
    off the ground in any manner is tough whether it be sit ups, push ups or just trying to stand up.
  • To end the first session we did the dreaded ladder starting with 10 reps, then 8, then 6, then 4, and then finally
    two. I was so glad he only gave us three stations instead of the initial four. 30 squats, 30 push ups and 30 sit
    ups is way over my daily allowance but I survived. Later that evening, after my poker tournament I went to lift
    myself out of my chair and boy were my arms sore.
  • 9.16.09 - Boy have I been slacking on updating here. Cross Country season started and I got swamped.
    Congrats on your Move Your Tail times, when I get official results, I will post them. On Tuesday, we ran four
    four minute runs with a two minutes rest and everyone looked good. This running camp session is coming to
    an end at the end of the month but one can sign up for the next session now. This next session is the "Mr.
    Toad's Wild 20k Run" session and will run from October 1st till December when the Mr. Toad's Race is held
  • 9.12.09 - I was suppose to shoot the Move Your Tail run but a flat tire this morning killed that idea. So I
    walked over to the BTC Fun Run at Yokuts Park instead. Hope all who went there did well. Ironically, they were
    having a dogfest at Yokuts today.
  • 9.9.09 - Joe brought by the new Building Better Bodies shirts and they look nice. Love the new blue color
    and the runner added to the logo. On Tuesday, we did some hill repeats, we ran my 0.4 mile loop by the 24th
    street bridge. We ran a lap, then walked a lap for 5 laps.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment